Today’s Vegan MoFo prompt is “Something blue”. Voila, my friends, something blue:
This gorgeous Raw Blueberry Power Porridge is a fun way to shake up your breakfast routine. If you’ve never had raw buckwheat porridge before, it’s made by soaking buckwheat in water for 20 mins or longer, and then blending the buckwheat into a smooth consistency. In this recipe, I’ve done just that, but added frozen wild blueberries for flavor and that sexy color. I buy my frozen wild blueberries at Trader Joe’s for a few dollars, but you can also find them in bulk at Costco or BJ’s.
On top, I added fresh blueberries, along with little dabs of homemade brazil nut butter and sunbutter. I think next time I will add some crunch by scattering on a few kernals of raw buckwheat. I recommend that you do so!
Why is this Power Porridge, do you ask? Well, because I added a half scoop of protein power for some extra staying power. Don’t get me wrong, one serving of buckwheat does have 6g of protein, which is a fairly good amount. But, since I am amping up my milage, I wanted a bit of an extra boost.
Raw Blueberry Power Porridge
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats, soaked in water at least 30 mins
- 3/4 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 1/2 scoop sweetened vegan protein powder (I used Vega)
- a handful of fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp nut butter(s) of choice (I used brazil nut butter and sunflower seed butter)
- Drain the soaked buckwheat. It is normal for it to be slimy. Rinse the buckwheat thoroughly to remove the slime.
- Blend first four ingredients in a blender. Pour out into serving bowl. Top with fresh blueberries and your favorite nut butter. Dive in!