It is officially Day 4 of Vegan MoFo! If you were wondering what I was up to yesterday, I opted to post on Instagram instead of the blog. Make sure to follow me on Instagram to view some of my Vegan MoFo recipe creations (as well as daily healthy food pics and inspiration).
Today’s prompt is: “Tell us about a weird food combo that you love.” Well, if you insist…
I love peanut butter with anything fruity and sour. In particular, I love peanut butter with pineapple, lemon, and lime, and no, I don’t mean in a stir-fry (because that’s not really weird). I mean in smoothies or slathered on a big slice of whole-wheat bread (whole-wheat toast with melty peanut butter and warm pineapple. Don’t say I didn’t warn you about how addictive it is). Hence this recipe, which features a sweet-tart lemon blackberry smoothie, topped with chia, peanut butter and crunchy bran flakes.
As my theme is Half-Marathon Training Fuel, let me mention that this is a refreshing post-run breakfast or snack. If you’re farther along in training, you may want to double the fruit, protein, or peanut butter to meet your nutritional needs.
I hope that you give this smoothie bowl a shot. Hey, maybe lemon and peanut butter will end up being your next weird food combo obsession. I won’t tell anyone.
Lemon Blackberry Smoothie Bowl with Peanut Butter
- 3/4 cup water or plant milk
- 3/4 cup frozen blackberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (I use Sunwarrior)
- juice from one small lemon
- a 1/2 inch nubbin of lemon zest, optional
- 5 ice cubes
- a handful of your favorite crunchy cereal (I used Trader Joe’s Bran Flakes)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- Place all smoothie ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and place on the toppings. Dig in!